Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sshshsshs...pass it over please!

It happened yesterday evening only. Vasu, Darsh, mom, dad and I were fortunate candidates for 'darshans' at the neighborhood mandirji (Jain temple). Vasu was as usual in no mood to pray or even pretend. Darsh following the suit was all naughty and restless. As soon as I left him on the floor, he ran his way to the baskets of holy tiny utensils of Mandirji. Tiny spoons, miniature bowls and small plates – all unfailingly attracted him beyond control. Compelled, I was carrying Darsh in my lap as Mom prepared ‘aarti’. As soon as mom lighted the oil lamp, Vasu started making hush sounds to hint that the oil lamp must be given to him for performing aarti. By consensus only an agreeable activity for him, he was given the oil lamp, which he moved clockwise and pendulum-like almost to his fill. Then it was forced taken away by me to be given to mom. Vasu started hushing all over again, stretching out his right hand towards mom, his fingers working in coordination to indicate that he wanted the lantern back.

Inspired, Darsh broke the silence with his own hush sounds, his hand also stretched out, his fingers moving in and out of the fist, as if virtually saying, "Sshshsshshh...pass it over to me instead please!"

Mom and I simply could not control a brief mirth in between the ‘aarti’ recital.

No comments: