Thursday, September 08, 2011

Changing Shoes

That's my boy! :P
Not long ago, I ( like many other Indian parents), would go to any extent to bolster up the confidence of my children. I would praise them generously (often overtly) for just about every simple job they would successfully accomplish. I would fetch sweets or goodies for them to reinforce a good action. I would shower kisses and hugs to show my affection and emote feelings of happiness and proud. (Even if, my tactics often proved to be rather fruitless turmoil of a "learner" parent :-/ ) Not long ago, I did all that and more, to behave like a responsible and dutiful parent.
But yesterday, I realized things are actually inter-changing!!??

Yesterday, extremely lazy and exhausted after a long day at work, I was reclining on our bed against a pile of pillows, lazily watching over their random activities. As time-to-sleep drew closest, Vasu expressed his, as usual, oddly timed desire to cover his rough notebook!!??

"Arghh.." I thought. "As usual!" But then I just let him be, lest I would only hurt my head more severly. Still watching the two in action, doing something with a lengthy scroll of brown paper... remaining at a fairly safe distance from the mess of it all. Darsh was actively prompting Vasu, bucking him up and showing full confidence in his "Uber-cool big brother."
Brothers bonding
Vasu is dismal at being crafty... and there he did it again!  He cut the brown paper too short horizontally, rendering it unsuitable to cover the notebook. I just behaved as if I wasn't watching.  Sitting by, but totally indifferent.

Vasu looked at me for approval, and may face gave away what I truly felt.

Observant Darsh spoke matter-of-factly, "मम्मा आप कर दो, वासु से नहीं हो रहा है. " (Mom, you do it, Vasu isn't able to do it.)

Vasu supported his suggestion and coaxed me a bit more. "Ermm.. Okay! Why not, if it pleases the two!" I said to myself.  

The pair of them watched me carefully. How I took a new piece of brown paper and folded it neatly on either sides of the hard cover; eagerly anticipating when would I use a pair of sicssors!

As I was doing it, Darsh blurted,
"वाह मम्मा! आप तो बहुत अच्छा कवर चड़ा लेते हो! है ना? देख वासु मम्मी कितने अच्छे से कवर चड़ा रहीं हैं!" (Wow Mom! You cover copies so well! Right Vasu? See, mom covering the copy so well!)

Vasu added affectionately (as if he was my elder someone obliged to boost my morale) ... his voice full of sweet smiles and kisses and hugs for his dear "little" mom showing promise and ability,     

" वाह मम्मा! आप तो बहुत सफाई से कवर चड़ा लेते हो! और वो भी बिना कैंची के! Very Good mamma!"
(Wow Mom! You can cover the copy so neatly and that too without using scissors!)

And for a second, I forgot I was their mom... I felt like a child, smiling with pride at my neat skills at covering a notebook. *BROAD grin on my face* [wink] [wink]


  

5 comments:

Rachna said...

please check your mail. we are looking for freelancer.

Tulika Verma said...

a beautiful experience...I once had a similar experience with my little cousin.... :) read a lot of posts...you write beautifully :) will come back for more :)

NIDHI JAIN said...

Thanks a lot Tulika. Coming from you, it means a lot. :)

Purvi said...

I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award! Click on this link for details ~
http://puplumages.wordpress.com/2011/12/22/a-friend-in-need/
Keep up the good work! :)

AMRUT RAO said...

I have been reading your posts lately and they are truely wonderful..